Sunday, January 28, 2007

Tu B'Shvat - The New Year for Trees

This week many of the supermarkets in Israel have special food displays with packaged dried fruit. What is the occasion ?

This Saturday (Shabbat), February 3, is Tu B'Shvat - The New Year for Trees. This Jewish mini-holiday is of major importance to our appreciation of nature and our relationship to it. It is customary to plant trees and partake of the fruits of the land of Israel to mark the occasion. This year Tu B'Shvat falls on Shabbat - therefore many of the holiday activities this year will take place on Thursday, February 1.

When I was a kid back in the 60's in the USA, I remember going door to door collecting money for the Jewish National Fund to plant trees in Israel. Today I can travel all over Israel and see the actual trees. There is something very special about celebrating Jewish holidays in Israel.

For those that are interested in learning more, I have collected a list of 55 websites that have information and activities relating to Tu'Bshvat. The address is:
http://www.jr.co.il/hotsites/j-hdaytu.htm

Have a Happy Jewish Arbor Day!
Jacob

2 comments:

We're the ones who have to put up with them said...

That's very cool actually. I always remember "planting trees in Israel" in honor or in memory of various people. Years later, I wondered if they were planted and where they were planted, etc. It must be a good feeling to see them.

Lady-Light said...

Jacob (may I call you Jacob?), I bookmarked your main website (which I find extremely helpful) a while back, , especially since I now have four outa five grown kids living in Israel! I would like to possibly link your site to my blog site. Why don't you email me about it?
p.s., my kids made their own wonderful Tu Bishvat seder in their teeny tiny apt. right outside of Yerushalayim, and (לדאבוני הרב) we made our seder here in the States, again...sans kids...BUT! -there is a chance we can make a 2nd aliyah in the not-too-distant future (even though I can say about this, been there, done that!!)